Windows: Windows Update fails with 0x8024D007 or 0X80070005
I spent far too much time tracking this one down.
Windows updates were failing with 0x8024D007.
My bottom line issue was HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionSvcHost
need to have Full Administrator privileges check marked.
A couple of other quick options are to:
1) Open the registry (start/run/regedit) and browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetserviceswuauserv
2) Right click wuauserv in the left pane and select “Permissions” make sure you have:
– System at FULL CONTROL
– Administrators at FULL CONTROL
1) Open a new notepad
2) Copy the following commands to the notepad
*Note that if you get a 0X80070005 error it is most likely a registry permissions problem.
3) Go to the file menu of the notepad, click save as
4) In the list select all files
5) In the name type register.bat
6) Save the register.bat file on your desktop.
7) Click right button of mouse on the file register.bat, and then run as administrator.
8) Try to install update now.